For many unfulfilled workers, reading the annual best places to work list is like reading People Magazine’s “Sexiest Man” issue while you sit next to your overweight and flatulent husband on the couch. You read about onsite childcare, nap pods, and three free organic meals per day and it makes you want to scream and go full-on mental patient on your drab office that is so uninspiring that the wall color paint name is Analytical Gray (that is a real paint name-you can’t make this stuff up).
With their healthcare and unlimited sick days, the tech companies rise to the top of the best places to work list, and at the top of that list is Google. So what does the luckiest workers in the world wear around their open-space workplaces filled with natural light (as opposed to the lighting in most workspaces that is affectionately called dungeon chic)? Well, there are a lot of jeans and a lot of t-shirts. And over those t-shirts, they wear plaid button-up shirts (unbuttoned, of course).
This type of shirt can be seen in tech offices far and wide. It has even been referred to as “Google plaid.” So while we can’t steal their laundry rooms or free personal fitness classes, we can beta test their workplace style. There are many different ways to wear a plaid blouse at work, whether your workplace is more buttoned-up or more laidback than a surf shop on 4/20. Here are some ideas:
- Wear it under a black sheath dress and black knee-high boots. This gives a little schoolgirl flair to the outfit.
- Wear it with tan wide-leg trousers and tan high heels. You’ll look like you are the VP of style.
- Wear it with a brown belt, boyfriend jeans, and brown ankle boots. This is for the more laidback workplaces.
- Wear it with a skirt suit for your next job interview. You’ll be sure to stand out amongst the other boring candidates in white blouses.
- Wear it tucked into a black leather pencil skirt and black high heels.
- Wear it with cropped black pants and red high heels. You’ll be red hot-to-trot around the office.
- Wear it with army green trousers and brown high heels.
- Wear it with black trousers and a denim jacket.
- Wear it with a graphic tee underneath, black jeans, and black ankle boots.
- Wear it with high-waist wide-leg jeans and wedges and bring a 70’s vibe to the workplace.
There are so many stylish ways to wear a plaid blouse to the office. Let the tech office keep their artisan coffee and onsite oil changes. You’ll be stylishly rocking your plaid blouse with a slimming black A-line skirt while you beg your current company during your permitted lunch break to approve your time off request to visit your sick grandmother. They’ll tell you that you need two more signatures, a note from your grandmother’s doctor, and a selfie from her hospital bed. But all you’ll hearing is that you need to submit your resume somewhere else, somewhere that has something called a nap pod.